WooCommerce in WordPress is an open-source e-commerce plugin. Therefore it is designed for e-commerce online businesses. WooCommerce in WordPress powers millions of e-commerce sites worldwide. And it’s the only WordPress plugin to make the list of top eCommerce platforms. With just a few clicks, your WordPress website turns into a fully-functional e-commerce website. WooCommerce in WordPress is free, flexible, and amplified by a global community. So it means that you retain full ownership of your store content and data forever.
Brief History of WooCommerce:
WooCommerce in WordPress is a plugin that integrates with your existing WordPress website. Therefore WooCommerce turns your site into a working WordPress e-commerce website with few clicks. When it was launch in 2011, it becomes the solution for users t0 launch their stores online.
WooCommerce in WordPress currently powers 99% of the e-commerce websites in the USA, CANADA, and the UK. (Source: BuiltWith.com.)
With over 27,000,000 downloads and millions of active installations, It’s definitely the source of most e-commerce sites. (Source: WordPress.org.)
Why is WooCommerce so popular?
There are some reasons why WooCommerce is so popular in e-commerce stores:
- WooCommerce is free. And the software in which It lyes are also free and it is WordPress.
- WooCommerce is open-source. Anyone can go in and audit, modify or extend the code
- WooCommerce is a regular person friendly. You don’t need to be an expert to launch your store.
- WooCommerce is extensible. You can add or remove plugins easily you want to.
- WooCommerce works on all devices. About 70% of people buy things on smartphones and WooCommerce is serving these peoples.
- WooCommerce looks how you want it to. YOu can change themes you want to change according to your choice.
- WooCommerce is secure. It comes from Automattic, a billion-dollar company with the resources to secure your store.
- WooCommerce lets you sell pretty much anything. You can sell everything you want to sell on WooCommerce.